Sunday, May 24, 2009

Songs For Sunday

Have I Told You Lately?

This morning Jamie said something in worship that started my little cogs clicking. He said "Silence cannot communicate love very well." At first I disagreed. After all, this is the same man who said, when there are no words, sometimes your presence is enough. But, as I have been pondering his words, I find the truth in them. What if I am silent around my family, if I never say the words "I love you." Is that enough for them to know my feelings? Don't we each yearn to hear those words, to have that validation from others?

As I have said before, I am the youngest of five sisters, flanked by two brothers. Many times growing up I really disliked having so many brothers and sisters. The pestering, teasing, making fun of, and sharing, always sharing.

When I was young I was not always fond of all my sisters and my brothers. I loved them because they were family, and I had to, my parents said so. But, we would never dream of telling each other something as sappy as that - oooooh that would have been gross, and worse than the Brady Bunch! And, at times it certainly did not feel like we loved each other.

I really cannot explain what happened between the time I was a kid to a few years ago. All of a sudden, I am the most schmaltzy dork. I am sentimental and sappy, I can tear up at the drop of a hat - heaven forbid I get to church without a tissue! And yet, at times I still hesitate to tell those I love, that I love them.

I love my family. My long-suffering husband, Phil, my daugher, Alex and Phil's son Jimmy. I say long-suffering to poke some fun at Phil, because of a "joke" he said the other day, but he is long-suffering. Long-suffering, not in the way he teased, but because I know that I am not always easy to live with. I do not always act in a loving manner, and I don't always tell him that I love him, even though it is true.

I am blessed to have different circles of numerous friends. These days of internet and cell phones with free long distance calling it is easier than ever to keep in touch with people, even over great distances. This year too is a big reunion year for my high school class. Therefore, many of us are reconnecting via Facebook.

So much family, such abundant friends, so many different reasons to love!

This morning Jamie said "Talk about your love for one another. Tell each other of your love."

I don't know why it is difficult to voice our love to the people we love. Or should I just say me? I don't know why it is difficult for me to voice my love. Not always, but sometimes it really is. It is kind of embarrassing. Maybe because it is hard to open myself up to possible rejection or perhaps it just feels unnatural.

Such are the thoughts I am contemplating this rainy afternoon. Fair warning - if I get up the nerve I may even begin to act on Jamie's admonition.

Have I Told You Lately?
lyrics: Van Morrison

Have I told you lately that I love you?
Have I told you there's no one else above you?
Fill my heart with gladness,
Take away all my sadness,
Ease my troubles that's what you do.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Thank you Joan for sharing your heart and thoughts. I love you to, and have such awesome PT memories of our days there! Thanks for encouraging all of us to tell the ones we love, that we love them.

Phil said...

I love you with all my heart. I know that I am hard to live with! I want to tell Alex that I love her too and I feel that we are making progress. Sometimes being out numbered by all the females around me and Cooper do unrational guy things! I love our 3 cats and 2 dogs(ok, mainly the dogs) too!