Sunday, May 10, 2009

Songs For Sunday

There's An Old And Faded Picture

I am the youngest of five sisters, sandwiched between two brothers. When I was very young, my mother put the girls in singing lessons, so we've been singing together practically my whole life.

Funny, even though it is Mother's Day, the song that has been on my mind all week is one taught to us by my dad. We have known this song so long, I do not remember actually learning it. It is just part of our heritage. I never heard this song anywhere else, but when I Googled "There's An Old And Faded Picture," I discovered that it is an old mountain song. Surprisingly, I found that we had only learned the first verse and half the chorus.

Nevertheless, I am partial to the part we grew up with. When my dad and my Uncle Glenn were kids, supposedly they were kicked off the school bus for singing this song over and over. My dad would laugh and laugh when he told us that story. I still smile when I think of him regaling us with tales of him and his younger brother as little hellions.

I am guessing this was a popular song at one time. Or, at least on the farm where my dad grew up. It was a big hit at family reunions when my dad would drag out all his girls to perform. Then, as we grew older we would visit my Papa at the Nursing Home and it was always one we made sure to sing for him.

I picture us five girls, very young, probably twelve and under, singing this song, beginning in unison and breaking into three-part harmony. Also, in my humble opinion, it is best to imagine it sung in the worst possible country twang.

There's An Old And Faded Picture On The Wall

There's and old and faded picture on the wall,
Tis been hangin' there for many, many years,
Tis a picture of my mother,
And I know there is no other,
That can take the place of mother on the wall.

On the wall, on the wall,
There's an old and faded picture on the wall.

My mom did not teach me this song, and I do not have an old and faded picture of her on my wall. But, she has taught me innumerable lessons of faith, family and perserverance, in word and by example. And, I know there is no other that can take the place of my mother in my heart.

Blessings this Mother's Day!

No comments: